A “Survival Backpack” is much different than a Bug Out Bag. A Bug Out Bag will keep you alive for about 2 to 5 days while you flee to safety, but a survival backpack needs to contain everything you need survive for an indefinite amount of time. Outdoor survival backpack need to have everything to survive wilderness.
So we made a list of things you need in your survival backpack.
12 Things You Need in Your Survival Backpack
First thing is kind of obvious but picking a good backpack is crucial in making sure you have all you need in your survival backpack. Our pick is Outdoor Tactical Backpack Military Rucksacks for Camping Hiking and Trekking Waterproof 30L (Black)
- Color: Black
- Constructed with waterproof 600D Nylon material, the backpack is wearable and durable.
- 1.5 Inch Waist Belt, 1 Inch Sternum Strap, padded and adjustable shoulder straps help relieve pressure on shoulders while carrying heavy loads.
- Two Spacious compartments with small pouches inside and two front pockets, the Rucksacks Tactical Backpack is ready to meet your needs.
Logical first pick for you survival backpack is a good knife. Cutting branches for shelter, creating weapons, cutting rope, cutting bandages, digging small holes, self-defense, hunting and cutting food. Our pick for your survival knife is Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
- Molded rubber grip and knurled striking surface butt cap
- Saw ground back blade
- Integrated fire starter with integrated diamond sharpener
- Key ground-air communication patch
- Emergency micro lanyard whistle
Compass and Map
Having a compass and a map can be crucial in finding your shelter in rough conditions or even finding drinking water. Our pick is a precise and reliable Professional Multifunction Military Army Metal Sighting Compass High Accuracy Waterproof Compass.
- Size: 65*53*26mm; Material: Metal and glass.
- Reference table to estimate distance and scope.
- Sighting window with sighting line.
- This compass with a luminous display inside, convenient night clearly viewing.
- Waterproof and shake proof.
First aid kit
When spending a longer time in the wilderness, accidents are prone to happen. So having a good first aid kit is important to be able to act quickly in case of injury. Our pick (because of large selection of medical equipment in a small package) is Adventure Aid First Aid Kit Travel – Be More Professional – Perfect for Outdoor & Home
• TRAUMA (red color) :Non adherent wound dressing 5cm X 5cm (3) – Non adherent wound dressing 7,5cm X 10cm (1) – Cotton gauze swabs (pack of 3) 7,5cm X 7,5cm (2) – Wound closures (pack of 3) (1) – Wound dressing No 14 medium (1) – Pressure bandage 10cm X 1,8m (2) – Hypo-allergenic adhesive tape 25mm wide roll (1) – Triangular bandage 96cm X 96cm X 136cm (1) – Adhesive dressings (50) – Eye pads (2) – Emergency blanket 210cm X 160cm in zip lock bag (1)
• HYGIENE (blue color) :Skin cleaning wipes (1 in CPR Kit)(10) – Plastic bags (3 sizes)(3) – Nitrile gloves Large pair (1 with CPR Kit)(2)
• UTILITIES (black color) :Bandage shears 15cm (1) – Tweezers Stainless steel (with tip guard) (1) – Fever scan strip (1) – Notepad (1) – CPR Kit (including 1 resuscitation face mask, 1 pair of gloves & 1 skin cleaning wipe)(1) – Safety pins (6) – Splinter probes (pack of 5)(1) – Red bag 600D Oxford Cloth (1)
Water in every situation is self-explanatory so you want to have a good hydration system. Our recommendation is Outtop Original 3L/0.79 US Gal TPU Water Bladder Bag Backpack Hydration System Pack Hiking Camping Survival with 100cm/39″ Tube,Army Green but any decent hydration system would work.
- Material: Safe non-toxic TPU. Hydration Bladder Capacity:3L/0.79 US Gal. Size: 52.5*18.5 cm / 21*7.3 inch.
- Compressive resistance to abrasion. Tube connected to the bottom of the bladder.
- It can be put into backpack and backpack’s shoulder strap. it can be used to store water with -20 to 50 degree Celsius.
- Please do not fill milk, juice or wine into the bag, these drinks may do damage to the bag.
- Perfect to use when hiking, climbing, riding and other outdoor actives.Foldable design, easy to carry.
One more item you may take a bit longer to choose. The sleeping bag is an absolute necessity for any extended stay outdoor. Our pick is Sleeping Bag – Envelope Lightweight Portable, Waterproof, Comfort With Compression Sack – Great For 4 Season Traveling, Camping, Hiking, & Outdoor Activities. (SINGLE)
– 20°F temperature rating – ideal for any extreme conditions
– Generously sized – ensures maximum comfort without adding too many extra pounds
– Wide-bottom S-Shaped quilted design
– Double fill technology for extra protection to your body
– Comes with polyester fill – dries quickly, remains durable and non-allergenic
– Has zipper weather-stripping design with drawstring structure
– Skin friendly – polyester lining feels comfortable on the skin
– Waterproof design that prevents moisture ingress and keeps you warm
– High-quality polyester and precisely done stitches ensure durability
– Safe for even machine wash
– Comes with a free carry bag to let you carry it comfortably
Fire starter is on every campers list, you have to able to make quickly fire in any condition. Either to cook food or to make yourself warm. Our recommendation Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel 2.0 Army 12,000 Strike Fire Starter with Emergency Whistle – Orange
- Lasts 12,000 strikes
- Built in emergency whistle
- Works when wet
- Compact fire starter designed to light fires in any conditions
- Provides 2,980-degree C spark in any weather, at any altitude
- Durable, lasts for approximately 12,000 strikes
- Army 2.0 model features improved stainless steel striker and ergonomic handle
- Bright spark – can be used as emergency signal
Be prepared as a would-be survivor should be your motto. So having a multi tool like Leatherman – Wingman Multi-Tool, Stainless Steel is a gear you want in your backpack.
Sure, you can survive without a flashlight – but your chances of survival greatly increase when you have light in some situations. There are a million flashlights you can consider but we like EcoGear FX Emergency Vehicle Flashlight (EM70): A 3-in-1 Multi-Function LED Flashlight, High Lumen 100,000 Hours CREE Flashlight with a MAGNETIZED BASE
- Flashlight is water & shock resistant for use under the most rugged, emergency conditions (batteries not included)
- Features brilliant LED light for optimal visibility in all conditions: Ideal for a car flashlight or work light
- Emergency vehicle flashlight provides more than 50 hours of brilliant light for extended protection
- 3-in-1 emergency tool: main LED light in the flashlight head & 26 LED’s (8 flashing) in the barrel
- Magnetic base attaches easily to any metal surface so your hands are free to work
The shovel can be useful in so many situations, like digging a place to sleep because of extreme conditions outside. Having a portable shovel is a good idea like Military Folding Shovel and Pick with Carrying Pouch, Multi Purpose for Camping, Hiking, Backpacking, Gardening – Tactical Army Entrenching Tool, Trench Shovel, Survival Steel Spade
- Multi-function: digging, sawing, chopping, cutting, picking, prying, hammering, bottle opening, shoveling.
- Material: high-carbon steel body and steel handle, Total unfold length: approx. 480mm.
- Comfortable soft rubber grip handle, Thickened cutting edge, Ergonomic Design.
- Foldable with a carrying pouch with a loop so the shovel may attach to a belt or backpack.
- The military original issue e-tool entrenching shovel can be used either straight or at a 90 degree angle.
Cord is another survival item with so many possible uses like Creating emergency shelters, tying poles together, fishing or trapping, mending a broken boot lace, climbing and rescuing and may more. You can check our article about paracord.
Not all essential gear must be high tech gadgets. Having a bandana will protect your head from the sun in the harsh condition you may encounter.