Snakebite is a nightmare of every hiker. Knowing how to react or to spot a species of snakes can mean literally between life or death. There are two types of venom, one that affects nerves(venom of cobra) and one the affected blood (vipers). We are bringing you tips if the venomous snake bites you or someone at your party. What to do in Case of a Snakebite?
What to do in Case of a Snakebite?
What to do in Case of a Snakebite:
- Keep the victim calm, restrict their movement. It’s very important that the victim dosesn’t panic because that state enhances heart rate and would circulate the position faster in the body.
- Remove all the jewelry and other items that may constrict blood flow.
- Stop the lymphatic spread of venom – bandage firmly, splints and immobilise. The limb, which has been affected by the bite, should be immobilized with a splint. Victim to keep the hand as close to the level of the heart as possible – this reduces the flow of venom to major areas.
- Don’t let the person bit to exert himself in any manner.
- Take photos of the wound every 15 minutes. Capture the site of the wound and any other swollen area that appears on the skin. This will come in handy when you get to the hospital.
- Clean the wound, but don’t flush it with water. Cover it with a clean, dry dressing.
What not to do in Case of a Snakebite:
- Don’t try to suck the poison, that is a myth and will not help the victim.
- Do not cover or bandage the bite area.
- No ice or any other type of cooling action on the bite. Research has shown it to be potentially harmful.
- Do not burn the wound, as it would not have any effect on the venom, which has already entered the bloodstream.
- Don’t cut the wound or attempt to remove the venom.
- Don’t drink caffeine or alcohol, which could speed the rate at which your body absorbs venom.
What to know about Snakebite:
- All snakes are not venomous
- Even a venomous bite is not always fatal
- The only cure which is available is anti-venom serum injection and not quacks.
- Never try to assess whether it was venomous snakebite or not.
If you are looking for more survival tips you can check our article about making a fire in the rain.